I would like to thank everyone who attended our Annual General Meeting which was
held on September 24th at Brengle Terrace Park. Nice time was had by all and
good food as always.
We have a new Board Member who will be joining us for the upcoming year - CJ
Harper, welcome back CJ. We are still looking for two more Board Members so if
you are interested please get in touch with me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our next upcoming event is the Kirkin' O' the Tartan, see details in the
Newsletter. If planning on attending we would appreciate it if you could bring
some Scottish treats to share with the congregation. Bring your tartan to be
blessed, those who have kilts please wear them.
Christmas Party is planned for December 10th at Vista Masonic Lodge, more
details to follow in the next Newsletter. We will have our usual gift exchange,
youth and adults. Santa will be there for the little ones.
Rob McLintock - President.
The Kirkin' O' the Tartans will be a part of the traditional service commencing at 10:30 at
The Village Community Presbyterian Church, located at 6225 Paseo Delicias in Rancho Santa Fe on Sunday 29 October 2017.
Again, our lassies, and maybe laddies please bring Scottish goodies to share with the congregation on the church's patio following the services. We also need help setting up the tables and heating sausage rolls at the church.
Please contact Judi Waldrop if you can help .
email@example.com or (760) 891-6191
Below I posted have some simple Scottish treats you might make to bring to the Kirkin'.
Fudge (and tablet) is a popular form of sweet confection in Scotland - and it sells particularly well in tourist shops. It can have many flavours added to it, from various fruit essences to whisky. The one here uses vanilla but feel free to experiment! Unlike a number of fudge recipes, it does not involve boiling the ingredients.
3 ounces (90g or stick) full fat cream cheese
2 ounces (60g) chocolate, chopped into pieces
10 ounces (275g) sieved icing sugar (frosting)
Salt to taste
Vanilla essence to taste
Beat the cream cheese until it is smooth and then beat in the sieved sugar. Melt the chocolate in a basin over hot water. Allow the chocolate to cool but while still liquid, beat in the cheese and sugar mixture, together with the vanilla essence and salt. Press the mixture into a greased tin (measuring about 6x4) and smooth the top. Chill until smooth enough to cut into rough squares.
Said to have originated in the east coast town of Montrose, these tea cakes make a good addition to "afternoon tea"
Ingredients (to make about 24 cakes):
4 ounces (100g) self-raising flower
4 ounces caster (very fine) sugar
4 ounces (100g) butter
3 ounces 75g) currants/raisins
1 tablespoon brandy
2 teaspoons rose water
Large pinch of ground nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Slowly add in the beaten eggs and mix thoroughly. Add the currants/raisins , brandyrose water and nutmeg and stir well. Then stir in the flour and combine thoroughly.
Half fill greased patty-tins or paper cases and bake in a pre-heted oven at 375F / 190C / Gas Mark5 for10 to 15 minutes.
KIRKIN O' THE TARTAN
Kirkin o' the Tartan, though Scottish sounding, came into being in Washington D.C. It was in the early days of the war in Europe. The London Blitz was well underway. Dr. Peter Marshall, a Scottish born immigrant, was minister of The New York Avenue Presbyterian Church in Washington D.C. He was also the chaplain of the U.S. Senate and a member of the St. Andrew's Society. In early 1941, in an attempt to raise funds for British War Relief, Dr. Marshall preached a sermon entitled, The Kirkin o' the Tartan.
Dr. Marshall was from Coatbridge in the old Covenanter territory. It was from this territory in 1689 that The Cameronians, a regiment, was formed. The Regiment was made up of Presbyterians who were the object of the Act of Proscription enacted by the British Parliament. The Act forbade the Scots from wearing the clan tartan and bagpipes were outlawed. Enforcement by British authorities often resulted in arrest of worshipers resulting in imprisonment, torture, even execution. In an attempt to overcome the prohibition and thwart the Red Coats, the worshipers would pin a swatch of their respective clan tartan under their outer clothing. At worship services, members of the Regiment would stand guard and when they would call the "all clear" the minister would bless the tartan and the obstinacy of the worshipper.
Since its inception, Scottish, Caledonian and St. Andrew's Societies throughout the U.S. and Canada hold a Kirkin o' the Tartan in conjunction with a service of worship. Frequently, Scottish Highland Games will incorporate the Kirkin o' the Tartan and worship service as part of the games.
The service celebrates and commemorates the clan heritage and challenge the descendants of Scottish immigrants who had made a new life in the North American continent to carry on the tradition.
Here is an example of how the Kirking of the Tartan Ceremony might go:
The pastor firstly introduces the service by explaining its significance and then might say:
'We begin this commemoration with the roll call of the Clans. As you hear your own clan being called, please stand. Honored representatives, proudly declare the names of your sacred clans!'
Starting at the left, the Flag bearers will state the name of their Clan, Society or District. The Flags are held upright. When finished with the Roll Call, the pastor announces and gives the prayer of Dedication. During this prayer, heads are bowed and flags are tipped at a 45 degree angle.
'On behalf of all Scots away from Scotland, these honored representatives present their tartans before Almighty God and ask His blessings on these sacred colors. Let us dedicate these tartans to the One, True and Living God'
The pastor then recites a form of Dr Marshall's benediction prayer for this ceremony:
'On behalf of all Scots away from Scotland, and in the name of all the Scottish Clansfolk that are here represented, we present these Tartans before Almighty God in appreciation of our Heritage; and we ask His Blessings upon these, His humble servants.
O Lord, Thou hast promised that in all places where Thou recordest Thine Holy Name, Thou wilt meet with Thy servants, and bless them; fulfill now Thy Promise, and make us joyful in our prayer, so that our Worship, being offered in the name of Thy Son, Jesus Christ, and by the guidance of Thy Holy Spirit, may be acceptable unto You, and profitable unto ourselves.
Bless, we pray, these Tartans, that they may be unto us and unto all people a token of the faith of our Fathers; and a sign of our service unto You. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.'
The flag bearers then raise their clan flags. A piper may play 'Amazing Grace' and 'Flowers of the Forest'. The pastor gives a short sermon recalling the events of Culloden and the Clearances. Those gathered remember their ancestors in silence. He then closes the service with a short prayer of general benediction, after which the flag bearers exit to a national hymn, such as 'Scotland the Brave'.
The Kirking of the Tartan is something that has grown in popularity since the 40s, with countries all over the World taking part with their own adaptations of the ceremony. To this day the history of Scotland will be remembered, and although the ceremony remembers a turbulent time, it also celebrates the survival of tartan and the Scottish natives' determination to remember their heritage.
History of Delgatie Castle
Most recently the home of the late Captain John Hay of Delgatie, Feudal Baron and built around 1049 the Castle has largely been in the Hay family for the last 650 years. It was taken from the Earl of Buchan after the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314, when Robert the Bruce routed the invading English army. Mary Queen of Scots stayed at Delgatie for three days after the Battle of Corrachie in 1562. Her bedchamber is on view to the visitor.
Like many Scottish castles, Delgatie was rebuilt in the 16th century. The invention of the siege gun necessitated greater fortifications, and the 1570 rebuilding provided 8-16 feet thick walls. The main tower dates from about 1100, while its final extension with the battlement walk above the string course was completed in 1579.
In May 1639, the covenanters were routed in their first skirmish with the Royalist Gordons. This took place on the 'Trot of Turriff' near the castle. This proved to be the end for the 'Royalist' Hay of Delgatie who was hanged alongside the Earl of Montrose 11 years later in Edinburgh. In May 1661, following the restoration of Charles II, his body was exhumed and under the orders of the Lord Lyon Kings of Arms he was given a huge state funeral. Amid much pomp and ceremony he was laid to rest next to the Marquis of Montrose in St Giles Cathederal, Edinburgh.
By the beginning of this century dry rot had infected the timbers and the deadly spores had worked their way into the stonework. Part of the roof had gone and water pored down the walls. During the second world war some of the 350,000 troops who were saved from the beaches of Dunkirk used the once elegent rooms as temporary barracks. By the end of the war the castle, left to crumble soon became derelect. Had it not been for Capt. Hay Delgatie would have dissapeared for ever. Even when the architects told the Captain it was too late to save the castle his determination to transform what was a rotting heap into the show piece restoration it is today began.
Both wings were added in 1743 with the chapel and dovecote on the west and the kitchen and servants' quarters on the east. Some of the rooms still boast their original 16th century painted ceilings, which are considered some of the finest in Scotland. Strange animals are depicted -- some with human heads thought to represent the actual inhabitants of the time.
The turnpike stair of 97 treads that links the eight floors is reputed to be one of the widest in Scotland, measuring over five feet across. It is unusual for this to be built within the thickness of the wall and for the stairs to go from bottom of the castle all the way to the top.
The castle is steeped in local and Scottish history and it is hoped that the condition of the castle remains near to its original state as possible making it a more 'homely' and different attraction to the rest of the buildings found on the Castle Trail. It is the intention of the Delgatie Trustee's to expand the collections and exhibits each year, and to continue to improve the facilities for visitors. It is our sincere hope that you will enjoy your visit to Delgatie and decide to return, as we are certain the castle offers more than a single visit can satisfy
A mile or so south of Glenelg a minor single track road leaves the coast and heads inland along Gleann Beag, the valley carved, spectacularly in places, through the landscape by the Abhainn a'Ghlinne Bhig. A little over a mile and a half along this road is a layby used by those visiting Dun Telve.
Dun Telve is a broch, one of around five hundred to be found across mainly the north and west of Scotland. Brochs were built in the last centuries BC and the first centuries AD and were circular in plan, rising to a height of 13 metres or more: this is the height of the best preserved example, Mousa Broch in the Shetland Islands. Opinions differ as to their purpose. Some experts view them as primarily defensive structures, while others believe they were symbols of prestige and power, intended to demonstrate the wealth of the local chieftain and his ability to harness the manpower and resources necessary to build such a highly visible structure. The truth is that these structures were probably multi-purpose, designed for day to day habitation as well, when necessary, as defence.
Dun Telve, and nearby Don Troddan,
a third of a mile further east along the same glen, are the best preserved brochs on the Scottish mainland. Why there should be two so close together here is unclear, but given the huge amount of effort needed to build such a structure, it seems very likely they were built by groups, perhaps different parts of a large family, working in cooperation with one another. If the brochs had been built by enemies, then whoever built the first to be finished could readily have prevented construction work on the second.
Dun Telve lies in the foot of Gleann Beag, and is accessed from a short path from the road. The broch is 18.3m in diameter, and stands to a maximum height of 10.2m on its western and northwestern sides. The external drystone walls are 4.3m thick at the base and 1.2 metres thick at the top. They comprise outer and inner walls, tied together with flat stones. This made for a much lighter and better ventilated structure.
The entrance is on the western side and is believed to have been modified in the 1800s. Beside the entrance passage is a small chamber, often thought of as guarding the entrance. On the north side of the interior a doorway gives access to stairs that climb within the thickness of the wall. These can be climbed to first floor level: originally they would have continued to the top of the structure. There is evidence in the form of horizontal stone ledges that suggest that there were originally two upper floors, with the top floor being set at a height of around 9m above ground level.
It is said that Dun Telve stood to its full height until robbed for its stone in the early 1700s. The suggestion is that the stone was taken in 1722 to be used in the building of Bernera Barracks in Glenelg.
The same is said of Don Trodden,
further up the glen. The problem with this theory is that it doesn't explain why any part of Dun Telve survives: for it would certainly have been easier to remove what still stands than travel further and climb the side of the glen to partially demolish a second broch.
Whatever the true fate of its missing stonework, Dun Telve was becoming popular with visitors to the area by the end of the 1700s, and in 1855 the Glenelg Brochs were two of the first ancient monuments in Scotland to be taken into State care. Today they are cared for by Historic Environment Scotland, and both can be considered "must see" locations by anyone visiting the Glenelg area.
NORTH COUNTY SCOTS MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL
A reminder from Membership Chairman Dennis Waldrop to all members if you have not renewed your membership for 2017-18
it is now due!
.Mary Beaton (1543–1598) was a Scottish noblewoman and an attendant of Mary, Queen of Scots
Mary was born in 1543, the third of five children of Robert Beaton, 4th Laird of Criech and Joanna Renwall. Mary's mother was one of Marie de Guise's ladies-in-waiting. Her aunt, Janet Beaton was a mistress of James Hepburn, Earl of Bothwell, who would in 1567, become the third husband of Queen Mary. In 1548, at the age of five, Mary Beaton was chosen by Marie de Guise to accompany her daughter Mary, Queen of Scots, to France. She, along with three other girls who also accompanied the Queen, became known as the "Four Marys."Mary was described as having been pretty and plump, with fair hair and dark eyes,
Mary attracted the attentions of an older man, Thomas Randolph. At the time of the courtship, in 1564, Randolph was 45 and Mary was 21. Randolph was Queen Elizabeth's English Ambassador to the Scottish court, and wanted Mary Beaton to spy on her mistress for him, which she refused to do. Mary Beaton eventually married Alexander Ogilvy of Boyne in April 1566. Mary had one son, James, born in 1568.
After the execution of Queen Mary, it was claimed by the writer Adam Blackwood in 1587 that Mary Beaton's handwriting was similar to the Queen's and so some of her private letters might have formed the basis for the casket letters produced to incriminate Queen Mary.
She died in 1598 at the age of 55
George Buchanan (1506-1582)
George Buchanan was born at Killearn, Stirlingshire, in 1506, the son of a small farmer. Much of his childhood was spent in Cardross, Dunbartonshire after the death of his father when he was 7 years old. He began his studies in Paris - at the age of 14 - but he returned to Scotland in 1522 and graduated at St. Andrews in 1525. He went again to Paris, but on becoming tutor to the son of the earl of Cassilis in Ayrshire, he accompanied his pupil back to Scotland in 1537. He also became a tutor to a son of King James V.
Denounced as a Heretic
Buchanan incurred the enmity of Cardinal Beaton by his Latin satires on the friars, "Somnium" (Dream) and "Franciscantis". Even though he had been encouraged to write the satires by King James V (who suspected the Franciscan friars of conspiring against him), Buchanan was imprisoned in the castle of St. Andrews. However, he escaped into exile in France in 1539. He held professorships at Bordeaux and Paris, and later at Coimbra, where he fell under the displeasure of the Inquisition in Portugal and was for a time confined in a monastery. He spent his time there working on a translation of the Psalms of David into Latin. After his release, he visited England, but for about seven years, from 1553 onwards, was in France
Supporter of the Reformation
Returning to Scotland for the last time in 1561, Buchanan was made classical tutor to Mary Queen of Scots in 1562 and principal of St. Andrews in 1566. He now openly identified himself with Protestantism and, appointed moderator of the general assembly (the elected leader of the Church of Scotland) in 1567. Initially intensely loyal to the Queen, he became conspicuously hostile to the Catholic Mary Queen of Scots when he became suspicious of Mary's role in the assassination of her husband, Lord Darnley. He went so far as to provide evidence against her at her trial in England which ultimately led to her execution.
In 1570 Buchanan was appointed tutor to the young king James VI in 1570 and until 1578 also held the office of lord privy seal. He died at Edinburgh in 1582.
A Large Body of Writing
In his declining years he wrote in Latin his most important works, De Jure Regni Apud Scotos, 1579, a treatise on the limitations of monarchical power; and Rerum Scoticarum Historia, 1582, a history of Scotland, which, though uncritical and partisan, is valuable as an authority for Buchanan's own period. As a scholar, Buchanan enjoyed a European reputation. He wrote in Latin with singular facility, while his native poetic feeling finds forceful expression in his Latin translations of the Psalms.
It is interesting to note that when the Victorians were deciding who to include in the "Hall of the Heroes" in the Wallace Monument outside Stirling, George Buchanan should be included - that's his bust in the Wallace Monument in the graphic above.
Cairns are ancient stone piles, under which early inhabitants were buried, scattered all over Scotland and by the seashores. The terriers were bred to sniff out and hunt the otters and other creatures making their homes there. Bred in the highlands, there are pictures of Cairn terriers from as early as the 15th century looking much as they do today. Later, the West Highland Whites became an off-shoot breed of the Cairn.
Curious, lively, and extremely bright, Cairns make excellent family dogs. One of their best traits is an ability to stay home alone without acting up or showing resentment.
More ideas for Kirkin' Treats!
Please Sign Up
firstname.lastname@example.org or (760)891-6191
You may think this Scottish Tea Bread recipe is for a bread which one would have with a cup of tea. However, you'd be wrong, because this is actually not a bread, but a cake, and it's made using tea!
You also won't believe how easy it is to make. Soak the fruit with tea and sugar the night before, then throw in the egg, flour and baking powder and bake! It's similar in taste to a Clootie Dumpling (recipe for that one to come), if you know what that is, but is so moist and absolutely perfect to have with a cup of tea. Okay, so when you guessed about having it with a cup of tea, you were partially correct! 🙂
The next time you have a leftover tea in your pot, remember you can make this Scottish Tea Bread, uhm, I mean cake. 🙂
Scottish Tea Bread (Fruit Loaf)
Author: Christina Conte (adapted from a Glesga pals recipe)
Prep time: 8 hours
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 9 hours
Serves: 1 loaf
4 oz (2/3 c) Zante currants (not blackcurrants)
4 oz (3/4 c) raisins
4 oz (3/4 c) golden raisins (Sultanas)
8 oz (1¼ c) soft, dark brown sugar
10 oz hot black tea
1 egg, beaten
10 oz (1¾ c) all purpose flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
- Put all the dried fruit into a bowl with the brown sugar and pour the hot tea over the top. Cover and let stand on the counter overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Butter and flour the inside of a loaf tin and set aside.
- Place the fruit mixture into a large bowl and add the beaten egg, flour and baking powder and mix until well combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and place into preheated oven. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes, then carefully remove cake from pan and place on cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing. Serve with a hot cup of tea.
Kirkin will be a part of the traditional service commencing at 10:30 at The Village Community Presbyterian Church, located at 6225 Paseo Delicias in Rancho Santa Fe on Sunday 29 October 2017.
Again, our lassies, and maybe laddies please bring Scottish goodies to share with the congregation on the church's patio following the services
Contact Judi Waldrop
Looking Forward to Celebrating the 25th Anniversary
November 25, 2017 - January 6, 2018
The Annual Riverside Festival of Lights on Main Street
HIGHLAND GAMES & FESTIVALS